Sponsoring is an act of love for God, for the participants in the Walk to Emmaus, for the Emmaus Community, and for the church. It is a demonstration of agape love. Click this link for the various forms a Sponsor will need to use.
A Sponsor Will:
- Pray for the participant’s openness to God’s call to discipleship.
- Make an appointment with the participant (or participating couple) to discuss his or her participation in Emmaus.
- Invite the participant to take part in Emmaus for the sake of a more vital relationship with Jesus Christ.
- The sponsor shares his or her faith and explains the basic purpose, elements, and follow-up dimensions of the Walk.
- Ask the participant to make a commitment by filling out a registration form. If the participant is married, the sponsor will speak with both partners and encourage an equal commitment by both spouses.
- Support the participant’s Walk through prayers and otherwise. The sponsor will also support the participant’s family by house-sitting, baby-sitting, watering plants, picking up mail, feeding pets, or just checking in with a spouse to see if any help or support is needed.
- Encourage the participant in his/her continued journey and take the participant to Emmaus “gatherings” after the Walk weekend is over.
- Help the participant re-enter his or her church and consider ways to act out new commitment and enthusiasm.
- Help the participant sponsor others.